Course objectives and outcomes:
- To build confidence in swimming in an open water/wild environment through essential knowledge and understanding of open water swimming & an outdoor environment.
- Pre swim procedures you need to be aware of before entering open water to swim.
- The importance & benefits of evaluating swim locations
- The use of equipment recommended when swimming in wild locations.
- Wetsuits – How to get them on and off successfully and what types of wetsuits are available and why.
- Other equipment, tow floats, hats, goggles, etc
- Essential warm up procedures
- Acclimatization & cold water shock
- Safe water entry and exit and identifying hazards
- Post swim care
- Next Steps.
What will i need on the day?
- Wetsuit – available to hire on site if you don’t have your own
- Swimming Hat – Brightly coloured for visibility (available to buy)
- Goggles – your normal swim goggles
- Towel, warm change of clothes, woolly hat, hot drink & snack
Our coaches are all trained by The Swimming Teachers Association (S.T.A)